The question to be answered: Where might you submit your big story and how does it fit that publication? Things you will search for include:
· Writer’s guidelines for the publication
· Several magazine or section covers (if print) or the home page (if Internet).
· An editorial calendar for that publication
· Stories from that publication that reflect the subject matter or the style of your story
· Advertisements in the publication that suggest how your story fits into the worldview of the people at whom these ads are aimed
· Editor’s notes
· Letters to the editor
· Online comments on particular stories
· A demographic breakdown of the publication’s readers if such a breakdown is not included in the writer’s guidelines or editorial calendar.